Adolescent Literacy Professional Learning Series
July 11 @ 9:00 am - 11:30 am$375.00
The Adolescent Literacy Professional Learning Series teaches critical components of literacy instruction for Grades 6-12. Each module integrates current research and translates it into classroom application.
The series consists of ten 2.5-hour facilitated, synchronous modules held via Zoom and continued learning through asynchronous materials and follow up activities via Google Classroom. These modules address questions such as:
- What happens in the brain when we read? How can this understanding inform our instruction?
- What are basic, intermediate, and disciplinary literacy? How do these levels impact reading grade level content material?
- How do we plan differentiated instruction to allow all students to access complex text?
- How do we analyze instruction to determine the presence of features of effective instruction?
- What is the importance of vocabulary acquisition? What impact does it have on comprehension?
- What role does strategy instruction play? How do high-leverage instructional routines support constructing meaning from text?
- . . . and much more!
PLEASE NOTE: Our Adolescent Literacy series is NOT a Mass Literacy OAPL offering.
Dates & Topics
Completion Requirement: Registration is for the entire series. Satisfactory completion is defined as attendance at no less than 20 out of 25 hours of scheduled, synchronous course time, and completion of all course assignments. Each training session will be recorded and posted in the Google classroom in case of any absences or need for a refresher, but is not considered an acceptable substitute for attendance.
Overview of Reading Acquisition: Secondary Focus
Tuesday, 7/11/2023, 9:00am-11:30am EDT
Features of Effective Instruction
Thursday, 7/13/2023, 9:00am-11:30am EDT
Using Background Knowledge and Inferencing Skills
Tuesday, 7/18/2023, 9:00am-11:30am EDT
Constructing Meaning While Reading
Thursday, 7/20/2023, 9:00am-11:30am EDT
The Role of Vocabulary in Meaning Acquisition
Tuesday, 7/25/2023, 9:00am-11:30am EDT
Self-monitoring and Questioning to Support Meaning Acquisition
Thursday, 7/27/2023, 9:00am-11:30am EDT
Secondary Focus on Foundational Skills
Tuesday, 8/1/2023, 9:00am-11:30am EDT
Thursday, 8/3/2023, 9:00am-11:30am EDT
Reading Writing Connection
Tuesday, 8/8/2023, 9:00am-11:30am EDT
Pulling It All Together
Thursday, 8/10/2023, 9:00am-11:30am EDT
PLEASE NOTE: This online registration form is for credit card processing only. If you’d prefer to pay with a purchase order, please email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org along with the required registration information (names, emails, job titles, and schools of each attendee).