- This event has passed.
Virtual Adolescent Literacy Professional Learning Series
January 10 @ 3:30 pm - 6:00 pm$375.00
The Adolescent Literacy Professional Learning Series teaches critical components of literacy instruction for Grades 6-12. Each module integrates current research and translates it into classroom application.
The series consists of ten 2.5-hour facilitated, synchronous modules held via Zoom and continued learning through asynchronous materials and follow up activities via Google Classroom. These modules address questions such as:
- What happens in the brain when we read? How can this understanding inform our instruction?
- What are basic, intermediate, and disciplinary literacy? How do these levels impact reading grade level content material?
- How do we plan differentiated instruction to allow all students to access complex text?
- How do we analyze instruction to determine the presence of features of effective instruction?
- What is the importance of vocabulary acquisition? What impact does it have on comprehension?
- What role does strategy instruction play? How do high-leverage instructional routines support constructing meaning from text?
- . . . and much more!
PLEASE NOTE: Our Adolescent Literacy series is NOT a Mass Literacy OAPL offering.
Dates & Topics
Please note: Registration is for the entire series. Each training session will be recorded and posted in the Google classroom in case of any absences or need for a refresher.
Overview of Reading Acquisition: Secondary Focus
Tuesday, 1/10/2023, 3:30pm-6:00pm EDT
Features of Effective Instruction
Tuesday, 1/24/2023, 3:30pm-6:00pm EDT
Using Background Knowledge and Inferencing Skills
Tuesday, 2/14/2023, 3:30pm-6:00pm EDT
Constructing Meaning While Reading
Tuesday, 2/28/2023, 3:30pm-6:00pm EDT
The Role of Vocabulary in Meaning Acquisition
Tuesday, 3/7/2023, 3:30pm-6:00pm EDT
Self-monitoring and Questioning to Support Meaning Acquisition
Tuesday, 3/21/2023, 3:30pm-6:00pm EDT
Secondary Focus on Foundational Skills
Tuesday, 4/11/2023, 3:30pm-6:00pm EDT
Tuesday, 4/25/2023, 3:30pm-6:00pm EDT
Reading Writing Connection
Tuesday, 5/16/2023, 3:30pm-6:00pm EDT
Pulling It All Together
Tuesday, 5/30/2023, 3:30pm-6:00pm EDT
PLEASE NOTE: This online registration form is for credit card processing only. If you’d prefer to pay with a purchase order, please email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org along with the required registration information (names, emails, job titles, and schools of each attendee).